Laura Renner is the Founder and Managing Director of Freedom Makers, a virtual assistant agency supporting small businesses and entrepreneurs with admin support. Freedom Makers pairs companies with qualified, versatile, and experienced military spouses. Laura, a former Public Affairs Officer for the US Air Force, is passionate about connecting talented military spouses with motivated small business owners. As a small business owner, she understands the stress associated with running a business and the challenge of being a military spouse struggling to build a career when assignments can change at a moment’s notice.
Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll learn:
- Laura Renner explains the mission of Freedom Makers
- What makes military spouses ideal virtual assistants
- How to find and hire the right virtual assistant
- Laura's journey to becoming a business owner
- The influence adventure and travel has had on Laura’s business
- Why utilizing virtual assistants for small businesses has increased in popularity
- Laura's book recommendations
In this episode…
In the aftermath of the Covid-19 pandemic, virtual assistants have increased in popularity as remote work become normalized — allowing people the flexibility to work from anywhere. Military spouses who often forego career opportunities due to the unpredictability of active duty assignments and transfers have benefited from the accessibility to remote positions. Are military spouses the answer for small business owners looking to outsource admin and specialized work?
Finding the ideal virtual assistant can be challenging. Confidentiality, accountability, organization and discipline are essential skills in an assistant, but finding the right virtual (remote) assistant with these attributes can be an especially difficult task. According to Laura Renner's experience, the environment that military families live in helps them develop these skills in their own lives, which can make them a natural asset for business owners.
In this episode of the Pillar6 Podcast, Roman Polnar interviews Laura Renner, the Founder and Managing Director of Freedom Makers, to discuss how hiring military spouses as virtual assistants can help entrepreneurs and small business owners grow their business. Laura shares why military spouses are ideal candidates for virtual assistant roles, what criteria to consider when hiring a virtual assistant, and why lifestyle businesses utilize virtual assistants.
Resources Mentioned in this episode
- Roman M. Polnar on LinkedIn
- Pillar6 Advisors
- Laura Renner on LinkedIn
- Freedom Makers
- Patricia De Fonte on LinkedIn
- "Estate Planning with Patricia De Fonte" on the Pillar6 Podcast
- Michael Hyatt on LinkedIn
- Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy SEALs Lead and Win by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin
- Korea's Place in the Sun: A Modern History by Bruce Cumings
- Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor
- Books by Andre Dubus
Sponsor for this episode
This episode is brought to you by Pillar6. Pillar6 is a wealth advisory firm for successful individuals and families with active lifestyles.
Our clients appreciate having clarity and control over their finances and the peace of mind in knowing that their financial decisions are aligned with their core values, goals, and priorities. We provide financial planning services and wealth management services.
Schedule your complimentary discovery call to talk to us.